THE CHURCH AND IT’S MISSION
The church of Christ, in its largest signification, is the whole company to regenerate persons in all times and ages, in heaven and on earth. In this sense, the church is identical with the spiritual kingdom of God; both signify that redeemed humanity in which God in Christ exercise actual spiritual dominion.
Thou at Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
To the intent that now unto the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places might be made known through the church the manifold wisdom of God.
The church is Christ’s peculiar, appropriated to him. The world is God’s and they that dwell therein but the church is a chosen remnant, that stands in relation to God through Christ as mediator.
WHO OWNS THE CHURCH
1. The builder and the maker of the church is Christ himself “I will build”. The materials and the workmanship are his. By the working of his spirit with the preaching of his word, he adds souls to his church and so builds it up with living stones (1 Pet 2:5).
Ye are God’s building and building is a progressive work the church in this world is, like a house in the building. It is a comfort to all those who wish well to the church, that Christ, who has Devine wisdom and power undertakers to build it.
2. The foundation on which it is built is this ROCK. Let the architect do his part ever so well if the foundation be rotten, the building will not stand. Therefore let us see what foundation is, and it must be meant of Christ, for other foundation can no man lay (Isaiah 28:16)
The church is built upon a Rock, a firm, strong, and lasting foundation, which time will not waste nor sink under weight of the building. A rock is high (PS 61:2) “from the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.
3. The Rock is understood by the confession which Peter made of Christ, and this comes all to one with understanding it of Christ himself. Thou art the Christ, the son of the Living God (Math 16:13-18) The answer Christ gave him, meant that is was a revelation he picked the answer from and it was Devine. In other words Christ meant that he will build the church on a solid revelation and the custodian of this will be the Rock.
Take away the faith and confession of this truth and from any particular church, and it ceases to be a part of Christ’s church and relapses to the state and character of infidelity.
MISSION OF THE CHURCH
1. To Glorify God
Man’s chief purpose is to glorify God. This is no more true of the individual than it is of the church as a whole (Rom 15:6-9, Eph 1:5, 1 Pet 4:11) so fundamental is this duty that if faithfully performed, there will be the carrying out of the other purposes of the church.
I. We glorify God by worshipping him (Jh 4:23)
II. We glorify God by prayer and praise (PS 50:23)
III. By living a godly life (Jh 15:18)
2. To Edify Itself
Paul tells us that God gave the church apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the Saints, for the rest work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God, to a mature man. Eph 4:12-16
3. To Evangelise The World
The great commission directs the church to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations ( Math 28:19, Act 1:8). It is not directing us to convert the world, but to evangelise it.
4. To act as a Restraining and Enlightening Force in the World
Jesus said that the believers are the salt of the world (Math 5:13). By their influence and testimony, they hold back the development of lawlessness (Gen 18:22-33)
5. To Purify Itself
Christ gave himself for the church “that He might sanctify her having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless” (Eph 5:26).
6. To Educate It’s Constituency
Jesus gave the great commission, not only that men should be made disciples and be baptized, but also that thereafter they should be taught “to observe all” that He had commanded then -Math 28:20. The church must teach it’s members God’s truth. Phil 4:8
7. Promote All That Is Good
While the believer is to separate from all worldly alliances (2Cor 6:14-18) he is yet to support, political and educational welfare of the community.
1. the church should be a place of worship
2. An environment condusive enough to grow the faith
3. Train and support
Our focus as a body and a foundation built on revelation, should not forget our mandate but maintain ghetto purpose at which the saviour came to Die.